Tuesday, December 20, 2011

St Nicholas Day


Rocky...

Yesterday was a really big day here, St Nicholas Day…. the saint that originated our Santa Claus. In Ukraine, all the children get toys on St Nicholas Day (not so much at Christmas). Here at the orphanage, they didn’t get any toys, but they did each receive a chocolate bar. They were all happy about their gift, and they had another show today celebrating St Nicholas day.
St Nicholas Play
Don and I went to the market and bought 7 soccer balls, some other toys, and hats and gloves. We went shopping without our translator so it was a challenge. No one here speaks English. Everyone was so nice to us. I know the word for orphanage, so I just said “internat” and they understood that we were buying for the children.  I wish we would have brought more money. They don’t take credit cards in Chernigivka.
No Credit in the Market

No jacket in 30 degree weather


Roman got his own soccer ball for his birthday, so he invited some of his friends out to play soccer with us. 
New Soccer Ball

One of the younger boys didn’t have his coat zippered, so I told him to zipper-up. He was ashamed to show me that his coat had a broken zipper. Can you imagine a child outside in 30 degree weather wearing only a jean jacket with a broken zipper? That is common here …He is on our list today to go and buy him a warm winter jacket....

New coat is a big deal.
Here is that boy, Germak, with his new jacket!  He was very shy about receiving it from us. I almost had to force him to take it. Germak (pronounced "Yermack") acted like he might get in trouble for having it.


Something new at the restaurant


The restaurant had a big crowd today (they must eat out on holidays). We asked Alla if they could make us something different today. We had borscht, cabbage salad and potatoes over chicken. It was delicious. I’ll have to learn how to make it for the kids, so that can have a familiar food. They eat borscht here a lot.
Borscht
Court date


Our friends received their court date yesterday. I am praying that we hear about our's today.



1 comment:

  1. I forgot that you had this blog and I have gone through and read all of the postings today. Thank you for buying sweet Yermak a coat - I know it was needed. He is so tiny - he needs something to keep him warm.
    God bless you for loving on these children. I miss them terribly and seeing the videos and reading your posts really puts me back there - it's a part of my heart forever. If you can please find Yana & her sister Diana and get a picture of them, as well as Halla & Ruslan. I love them dearly - they are such wonderful children.

    ReplyDelete