Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Happiness in Dr Zhivago Land-The Kids Are Now PART OF OUR FAMILY!

January 31, 2012

Rocky


Happiness in Dr Zhivago Land



When I was litte, the movie Dr. Zhivago came out. The story was set in Russia and I heard everyone say how beautiful the scenery and music was. When I heard that my parents were going to the movie, I asked them if I could go, too. I got a big fat "No".( I didn't know that there was some adult content...oh, well, I never did see that movie, but now I feel like I'm starring in it)

The scenery over Ukraine was breathtaking..there was no snow in Germany, but as soon as we hit the Ukraine border, it was barren and snow covered, just like you would picture in a Russian movie set in the wintertime. All these people are walking around with long furry coats and furry hats and boots..nothing like you would see here in the states. I felt like I was starring in the Dr. Zhivago Movie. It is just how you would picture it this time of year...bleak, snow covered, barren and cold. No one talks to you, they just look unhappy and keep walking.



I almost had a heart attack today because Alla was arguing with the girl at the birth certificate office in Zaporazhe. It seemed that someone had made a mistake in the old court order and forgot to mention that the father's rights had been terminated for Natalia. The girl at the court office told us to submit a request for new paperwork and come back in three days..no guarantee it could get straightened out by then either!! I’m so thankful for Alla…Alla worked her magic today to get what we needed…. we ran around town getting documentation and got the OFFICIAL REVISED BIRTH CERTIFICATES WHICH NOW SAY WE ARE THE PARENTS OF ROMAN AND NATALIA!! We have two new children and we have two new members of our family. I can't really believe this is happening and I feel like I'm in a movie. But it really sunk in when I saw them and they gave me big hugs today. I'm sorry Don missed it, but he will get that same great feeling when we all see each other at the airport next week.



I braced myself for this upcoming trip because I heard it was 0 degrees here! Yikes! That is COLD! No wonder they wear these fur hats! You freeze your "dupa" off (as they call it here. Hey, I didn't know that was a real word in a foreign language, did you?). Well, I left home at noon on Sunday and arrived at 6pm here today...today is TUESDAY! .I flew to DC, Frankfurt, Kiev and then took 10 hour train trip to Zaporazhe, waited on paperwork at the birth certificate office, then drove all over town getting even more paperwork…. then I had a 2 hour car ride to Chernigivka with huge, deep potholes every square inch of the way (I thought the car wheels were going to fall off). Whew! I can't sleep on a plane, so I am exhausted. I think I slept 7 hours in the last two days. I started getting a little shaky, so I am going to be short and go to sleep now, a happy lady. I hope I wasn't too tired and that this all makes sense.

Das Vedana...see you later.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations! Enjoy the rest of your adventure and safe travels home.

    ReplyDelete