Sunday, February 5, 2012

We arrive in Kiev-the last leg of the trip

Rocky



Everything went well in Chernigivka. All of Roman and Natalia’s friends came to the school entrance to say goodbye. They were happy that all of their friends were there to see them off.  I felt bad for the children who they were leaving behind. I’m sure they were all hoping it was themselves who found a new family and were headed to America. It was very touching. Roman wanted to take a photo with Rosa and as they posed together (holding hands) she started to cry. I felt bad for her.  I know that she will be very lonely without him there.  I know she has been in the back of Roman’s mind for the last few days.



These children are so good (I hope it lasts). I keep hearing the words Alex (the school director) said to me as we were leaving, “you have good children, you have good, good children”.  “Yes”, I said, “I know. They are very good”. They have been wonderful and have been very helpful in our travels. Roman is like the little man in the family here…carrying the heavy bags, looking out for his sister, etc. It’s been an incredible experience to be their mother and I am thankful that God has given me all the 4 children that I now have. I feel very blessed.



We had a somber ride from the orphanage to the train station, but once we got on the train, it was very exciting for the children. We had our own sleeping car and the train ride was fun….freezing cold, but fun. Ukraine is having a deep freeze and they told me it was -27 C. Yikes!! It is so cold, that your nose hurts when you breathe. My heart aches for the many stray dogs that roam around Ukraine. I don’t know how they survive. Everyone here saves their table scraps for these dogs, so I  now find myself putting our leftovers in plastic bags for them.



The last five days I have spent here with the children have been great.  Although I can see a slight sadness in Roman that he left behind his girlfriend (he doodled a heart on his notebook with her name), they are both so happy to have a new family and to be headed to America. There has been a lot of joy in their hearts and  I have gotten some really good hugs and it’s great.



One of the highlights of our trip has been our taxi driver, Sergei. We had some bad taxi drivers here at first. When we found a good one, we got his name and number and so we call him whenever we need a ride. The kids love to see a familiar face when we go somewhere. He even came in the grocery store and helped us with the bags on the first day we were here (and only charged $15 for the ride-I was very grateful that he waited for us to grocery shop and he got a good tip from me).



Our apartment is located near the National Opera House and is very nice. Today we visited a Russian Orthodox Church (St Vladimir). It is very, very old and it was gorgeous....lot’s of gold everywhere and every wall (and ceiling) was hand painted. It reminded me of the Sistine Chapel.  This afternoon we are going to the National Marionette Theater to see a show.


Our translator expects our passports to be printed tomorrow so we can have our visit at the Consulate and go to the American Embassy on Tuesday.  If all goes well, we can leave here Thursday or Friday.

More later…




1 comment:

  1. I had wanted to go inside St. Volodymyr's church while we were there, and it was one of the things we ran out of time for! We did visit St. Sophia's - also very beautiful.
    Glad all is going well for you guys! Nick was so helpful to me when we were in Kiev too - carrying all the bags, watching out for our safety. I loved it!
    I gave your number to Stephanie and Nicola, from the NHFC team. They are holed up in Kiev, so hopefully you will get to cross paths!
    Godspeed that you get home soon and that you have a great rest of your week.

    ReplyDelete